IMPORTANT: The following journal is intended for the use and viewing of approved persons only and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this work is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word ‘absquatulation’ has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the creation of this journal and a minimum of Microsoft software was used. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards.
Year View| Summary| Highlights| Month View| Saturday 9 October 2004 (Day View)
09.10.2004 – Saturday 9 October – UQ Sucks
- • I went to Govinda’s for lunch, and then to uni for the evening. Dommie the Narc drove Clint and Kipps to the nearest polling station, so I went along for the ride. I left my bag in his car when he parked, and waited with Clus while they voted. A while later we got a phone call to say that they had waited for ages for us and were leaving any moment. We headed out to the car park and couldn’t find them, so we caught a bus back to the Ville and met them there. It was fortunate I had some small change or we’d have been stuck. As it was, I had to buy an adult ticket, which is annoying considering I already had a valid ticket in my wallet. Apparently Dommie, Clint and Kipps are retarded, as they claim they walked out the same door where we were waiting without us seeing them and didn’t see us, and even waited an additional five minutes in the car park after phoning.
I’m trying to research my COMP3502 assignment, but the network and computing facilities here are so crap they’re unusable. I am getting download speeds of 500 bytes per second, meaning it’s taking me half an hour to download tiny files. This makes it very hard to research anything as I’m attempting to get journal articles from online databases. I am sick of the crappy facilities and the crappy IT degree in general, and the crappy attitude of the people who (pretend) to run the whole thing. I don’t care why they’re crap, or why they can’t be fixed, or what the behind-the-scenes politics are – I just care that I am paying good money for a sub-standard degree backed by sub-standard facilities. I don’t know what, if anything, I can do about it (other than transferring to another uni), but I wish there was something I could do. Perhaps this is just how life is, everything falls below even the most basic expectations and no one else cares?
Overhead in a foreign accent on the bus on the way home: “Your Dad just bought a car? When? Today? Where? Oh, in Australia? A BMW? A Ferrari? Like a hatchback? Like the Beatles? I am so confused”.
- Comment by Mitchell – Monday 11 October 2004, 11:18 AM
- Unfortunately UQ is crap. As far as I know, there is no way you can really launch an investigation into the state of the Uni, particularly the ITEE school. It's a poor Uni, and unfortunately looks like most people who decided to come here have been cheated. No matter what, they will win, wanking on about how good their Uni/School is.
How about, we form a rally, get EVERYONE to leave the Uni/School and see what they do about it. Probably nothing, they won't have noticed because they will be too busy on their "lets re-invent the wheel slightly different" research projects.
From what I see. Uni in the US looks the go. You pay a lot $$$$ but, they appear to be very accountable. None of the HECS rubbish, so that by the time you actually start earning enough money to pay it off, you r
- Comment by Reubot – Tuesday 12 October 2004, 7:46 PM
- Why didn't you just go to the library?
- Comment by Ned – Tuesday 12 October 2004, 10:41 PM
- How would going to the library have helped me?
- Comment by Reubot – Wednesday 13 October 2004, 8:43 PM
- To download your files.