IMPORTANT: The following journal is intended for the use and viewing of approved persons only and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this work is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word ‘absquatulation’ has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the creation of this journal and a minimum of Microsoft software was used. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards.
Year View| Summary| Highlights| January 2008 (Month View)
01.01.2008 – Tuesday 1 January – The year of planning
- • It’s a new year, though it’s also just an arbitrary date picked to be the start of a year—I think? Perhaps astrologers would disagree. I fear this year will be one of planning—whether I want to or not, I’m growing up and facing that may be difficult. I need to think about the future, where I want to be, and make plans now so I end up where I want—drifting with the tide may not work... or maybe it will. I need to think about it. Juggling a career and getting the time off to do the things I want—and working out what those things are, is this year’s challenge.
02.01.2008 – Wednesday 2 January – Brisbane & Hitman
- • Went and saw the last ever Troubadour Variety Breakfast, before packing up the tent between spouts of rain, and driving back to Brisbane through gale-force winds.
- • Bronwen, Stella and I drove to Indooroopilly, via Hungry Jack’s, to do some shopping. Bronwen and I returned later to watch “Hitman” at Indooroopilly. They’re allocating seats now. I then drove to Bronwen’s.
03.01.2008 – Thursday 3 January – Sick & Pancakes
- • Spent last night at Bronwen’s place. Drove her to work, then drove back here. Have been slowly sorting through emails, receipts, and various other unexciting things that have to be done. I feel a bit sick—a sore throat and not one hundred percent in the stomach area.
- • Went to the Ville for food, but nothing was open. Picked up Raymond, and drove to the Pancake Manor, where I had nachos.
04.01.2008 – Friday 4 January – Truck Accident
- • There was a truck accident near my place.
05.01.2008 – Saturday 5 January – Sick
- • Feeling sick.
- • Drove out to Bronwen’s and Bunning’s to get a door handle.
- • Dozed fitfully for a few hours.
- • Picked Stella up from work, drove her to a party that had finished, bought Malt and Honey flavoured milk, still feel sick, and am going back to bed.
06.01.2008 – Sunday 6 January – Less Sick, but Hot
- • Still sick, but much less so. It’s incredibly hot.
- • Drove Bronwen back to her place, through a torrential downpour and drainage that just couldn’t handle the volume of water, and watched “American Beauty” while she did some washing.
- • Popped into Woolworths at Paddington, had curry for dinner from Halim’s Indian Taj, and watched random bits of junk on TV while chatting to Bronwen and Stella.
07.01.2008 – Monday 7 January – Phlegm
- • Did very little. Mostly better now, just phlegm to go. Another extremely hot day.
- • Had dinner at Hungry Jack’s, on the way to Woolworths at Indooroopilly. Bronwen stayed the night.
08.01.2008 – Tuesday 8 January – Bronwen’s
- • I spent the night at Bronwen’s.
09.01.2008 – Wednesday 9 January – No Country for Old Men
- • Bronwen’s flatmate, Nacho, moved out. His girlfriend, Julia is moving in, in his place.
- • Went and saw “No Country for Old Men” with Bronwen at Indooroopilly. It was good right up to the end, which was terrible. Big argument afterwards. Bronwen spent the night here.
10.01.2008 – Thursday 10 January – Sleep In
- • Slept in ridiculously late, waking around 1:30.
- • Drove to Indooroopilly with Stella, to buy sausages and pick up Tegan. Had Subway for lunch while there.
- • Drove out to Bronwen’s late to say goodnight, but didn’t stay the night.
11.01.2008 – Friday 11 January – American Gangster
- • Slept in lazily.
- • Went to Thai Treasure but they had no cheap vegetarian food, so went to Halim’s Indian Taj and had curry there with Bronwen.
- • Rushed to South Bank Cinemas, where there wasn’t any parking, and had to sit right at the side of the cinema due to being late and it being sold out, to watch “American Gangster”, which turned out to be quite good and it really didn’t make much difference sitting at the side once engrossed.
12.01.2008 – Saturday 12 January – Chris’s Wedding
- • Had an apple turnover for breakfast, then headed up to Bronwen’s parent’s place for lunch.
- • Nandini told me she is moving out.
- • Went to Chris’s wedding and reception.
- • Home. Picked up Stella from work, drove her to Valley. Drove Bronwen to Nathan, then back to my place. Sleeping here.
13.01.2008 – Sunday 13 January – No Recall
- • I don’t recall.
14.01.2008 – Monday 14 January – Further No Recall
- • I still don’t recall.
15.01.2008 – Tuesday 15 January – New Tyres & Failed Brakes
- • I get new tyres on car. $100 each.
- • Bronwen and I drive to Amanda’s, brakes fail on the way there.
16.01.2008 – Wednesday 16 January – Fixing Car
- • I take car to Metro Ford. Diagnose as faulty fuel pressure regulator, too high fuel pressure.
17.01.2008 – Thursday 17 January – Clint Departs
- • Clint’s going away party. Bronwen and I attend.
18.01.2008 – Friday 18 January – Fixing Car
- • Changed fuel regulator and fuel filter in car.
- • Bronwen came over and stayed the night.
19.01.2008 – Saturday 19 January – Futons & Black Books
- • Indooroopilly with Bronwen and Stella.
- • Drove with Bronwen to pick up futon.
- • Watched Black Books.
20.01.2008 – Sunday 20 January – Cloverfield
- • Didn’t do much. Slept in a bit. Chatted to Bronwen.
- • Drove and had a look at a queen bed ($100) in Kelvin Grove.
- • Went to Bronwen’s then to the Gold Coast/Burleigh Heads with Bronwen, Stella and Mi.
- • Went to curry with Stella, Bronwen. Then went to see Cloverfield at South Bank with Bronwen. Somewhat interesting, but mostly not.
21.01.2008 – Monday 21 January – Rope & Beds
- • Drove to Autobarn to get brake master cylinder, which turned out to be the wrong one. Picked Bronwen up on the way back, borrowed her parent’s 4WD, picked up queen bed ($100) I had looked at yesterday. Lots of rope etc.
- • Had dinner at the Thai place at Rosalie. Spent the night at Bronwen’s.
22.01.2008 – Tuesday 22 January – Brake Failure
- • Drove to Autobarn to get the second brake master cylinder and other car parts. Picked Bronwen up on the way back. Got pizza from Dominos and watched episodes of Coupling. Driving when brakes fail on busy roads isn’t overly fun.
23.01.2008 – Wednesday 23 January – Fixing Car
- • Installed new brake master cylinder and bled brakes.
Drove to Supercheap to take back broken circlip pliers and buy air filter.
- • Went to Maz’s, then to Halim’s Indian Taj for dinner.
Went to UQ to adjust headlamps of car, then spent the night at Bronwen’s.
24.01.2008 – Thursday 24 January – Off to Cairns
- • Install air filter. Silicone up things. Sort out finances.
I went to Indooroopilly with Raymond and Stella prior to lunch. Had planned to leave by 9 PM but left just before midnight. Bronwen came around for the evening. We had dinner at Hungry Jack’s.
25.01.2008 – Friday 25 January – Cairns & Silas
- • Drove all night, sticking to the speed limit until 2 AM, then doing 120 km/h until 5 AM.
- • Stopped at Marmor, just after 6 AM for fuel and a drink.
- • Stopped again at Cardwell for breakfast.
- • Stopped just outside Ayr for fuel again around 2 PM, before driving through to Silas’s in Cairns. It rained lightly outside Cairns but was dry everywhere else. Stopped for a milkshake at Sarina on the seaside.
- • Arrived at Silas’s in Cairns around 7 PM.
26.01.2008 – Saturday 26 January – Cairns & Shan
- • Woke up at Silas’s. He had gone back to bed with a headache. Spent the morning chatting to him.
- • Silas went to work. I drove to Stocklands, then on to the Esplanade.
- • I worked out the fuel I used to drive from Brisbane to Cairns: 25-Jan 06:05—54.25 litres @ $1.329, $72.10; 25-Jan 14:11—55.82 litres @ $1.309, $73.07; 26-Jan 15:10—42.19 litres @ $1.329, $56.07; Total 152.26 litres, $201.24.
- • Spent some time with Silas at work then had dinner with him, his girlfriend, and her friend, before heading to Shan’s to spend the night.
27.01.2008 – Sunday 27 January – Motocross
- • I drove from Shan’s to Mareeba, got sunburnt photographing motocross, and met Justin, Jake, Amos and Luke.
- • I drove back to Shan’s, met Jade, had dinner, and then drove to Silas’s where I spent the night. I didn’t get to sleep until after 4 AM.
28.01.2008 – Monday 28 January – Cooktown
- • I drove to the Esplanade, and bought a milkshake. It is extremely hot. I’m waiting for Shan to wake up—he went out last night.
- • Shan is not feeling well after going out last night, and Silas is at work, so after laying in the shade at the Esplanade for a while watching topless women, I drove up to Cooktown. I hit a kangaroo on the Lakeland to Cooktown stretch, damaging the front bumper, and hopefully nothing else. Fortunately I was going fast and hit it straight on, as anything else would quite likely have had me going off the road. It jumped out just in front of me so there was no avoiding it.
- • Arrived at Mum’s, said hello to Dad and Mum, chatted for a while, and went to bed.
29.01.2008 – Tuesday 29 January – Family
- • I spend time with my family.
30.01.2008 – Wednesday 30 January – Sarah
- • Spent a quiet morning with my parents.
- • Went for a walk with Sarah and her dogs. She then came around for dinner.
31.01.2008 – Thursday 31 January – Family Photos
- • Got up, picked up Sarah, and drove down to Finch Bay, where we took some family photos, theoretically for Mum’s frames.
- • I glued together broken parts of the front bumper with superglue and cable-tied up other parts. So far it seems to have worked but I’m not overly optimistic about it.