IMPORTANT: The following journal is intended for the use and viewing of approved persons only and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this work is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word ‘absquatulation’ has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the creation of this journal and a minimum of Microsoft software was used. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards.
Year View| Summary| Highlights| Month View| Saturday 7 February 2004 (Day View)
07.02.2004 – Saturday 7 February – Voting and Flooded
- • I slept in, and then spent most of the middle of the day online. The new modem I bought still seems to work quite normally in the same slot the old modem was in, and due to power failures, I’ve had to reboot several times since then, so I guess it’s ok.
- • The power failed, and I lost most of what I’d written here – which is annoying. I’ve decreased the auto-recovery period to one minute now. I’d written how I walked down to Home Rule Bridge, and it is considerably flooded. I’m not quite sure how high the water is, but much too high to walk or drive across. I estimate it is five feet over the bridge but it’s hard to tell – it has been so long since I last played around in a flood down there. I met Rory on the way back and he asked if Mum had mentioned anything about the car, and if “thingo” had come to fix it yet. I don’t want to get involved, and didn’t know anything about it anyway, so said I had no idea what was going on.
- • I’m actually in a bit of a mood. I’m not entirely sure why – I guess there probably isn’t any logical reason for it. I think it’s because it is flooded – I should be tubing but I’m not, because I don’t have anyone to tube with. Neither Shan nor any of his sisters are online, and I feel abandoned I guess – but that’s not really true either. I know they’re most probably offline because their satellite connections won’t work through the heavy cloud cover, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Home Rule had no power – and it is voting day so they could be in voting. Nevertheless, I am in a mood. I wish I were tubing and having fun, but instead I’m here wishing I were tubing.
- • Apparently Mandi, Jade and Ella are stuck up at Shan’s place. They went in to vote and now it’s too flooded for them to get home. Shan says he was there up until around lunchtime, and back by about three o’clock, so I’m guessing the bridges weren’t too flooded at lunch but were by three.
- • Someone from DEVNULL.megaprovider.nl [184.108.40.206], port 2263 keeps wanting to send UDP datagrams to port 1026 owned by ‘Internet Information Services’ and 1027 owned by ‘SYSTEM’ on my computer. The strange thing is, I have a dynamic IP, so I wouldn’t expect the same host to keep trying after I’ve been disconnected and changed my IP.
- Comment by Soren – Tuesday 24 February 2004, 7:39 PM
This person keeps doing a port scan on my PC, very annoying.
You talk about home Rule, is that the place near Gulgong?
- Comment by Judy – Monday 1 March 2004, 3:26 PM
- DEVNULL.megaprovider.nl [220.127.116.11] I keep getting this annoying message (very regularly)and decided to type it into Google. Yours was the only link that appeared. What one earth is this message all about? I am sure it not your "job" or even interest to answer this so please feel free to ignore and I won't feel at all rejected.
- Comment by Dirk – Tuesday 2 March 2004, 1:35 AM
- Same here, Also got a dynamic IP¨but he keeps showing up. IP is 18.104.22.168 anyway of finding out who it is ?
- Comment by Raul – Tuesday 2 March 2004, 1:22 PM
- You are all hack by devnull nederland power!!!!!!!!!! especially you dirk!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Comment by Ned – Tuesday 2 March 2004, 7:46 PM
- I’m not “hacked”, but I am quite curious – especially as it has now happened from two computers across two totally different internet access accounts.
And no, “Home Rule” is the name of a mine, or what used to be a mine, now a resort, in north Queensland.
- Comment by Dirk – Tuesday 2 March 2004, 9:14 PM
- You mean "hacked" ?
Strange... you have not showed up today :).
- Comment by moses – Tuesday 9 March 2004, 6:49 PM
- ok me too just last night. i strayed over a couple of porn sites, and whether it was a co-incidence or not, now the bastards have messed up my internet explorer, cause i can't load google (neither www.google.com or www.google.com.au). This devnull.megaprovider.nl really wants to hook into my ports !!!
btw - you can get around it temporarily by using the ip address of google, http://22.214.171.124 - has anyone worked out how to get rid of this nuisance
and restore Iexplorer (for at least access google) ?
- Comment by Ned – Wednesday 10 March 2004, 1:46 AM
- It’s highly unlikely being port scanned is going to affect your browser in any particularly long lasting way.
- Comment by Ned – Wednesday 10 March 2004, 1:47 AM
- Try either Adaware or your favourite virus scanner, or preferably both.