IMPORTANT: The following journal is intended for the use and viewing of approved persons only and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this work is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word ‘absquatulation’ has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the creation of this journal and a minimum of Microsoft software was used. Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning backwards.
Year View| Summary| Highlights| Month View| Tuesday 1 June 2004 (Day View)
01.06.2004 – Tuesday 1 June – Feels like Swot Vac
- • I had planned to go to my nine o’clock lecture, but this didn’t seem like such a good idea when I woke up, so I went back to bed.
- • This is the first day that’s felt like swot vac (swot vacation – the period allocated for exam preparation, during which there’s no formal teaching). I woke up meaning to study and attend uni, but didn’t feel like it. I then slept for several hours more, and worried that my assignment, which I haven’t yet begun, is due in a few days – so proceeded to waste more time, washing my linen, watching the end of a movie, editing out some offensive and plain moronic comments from my journal, and various other stuff not related to uni.
- • I ate too much dinner and now I feel sick. At least I did begin my assignment – just barely. I’m now sick of it again, so I’ll have to hope I can do it tomorrow with no problems. I think I’m going to explode.
- Comment by scruff – Thursday 3 June 2004, 10:09 PM
- SWOTVAC = Study without teaching vacation.
I'm right. Don't even think about correcting me.
- Comment by Ned – Friday 4 June 2004, 12:25 AM
- The term is “swot vac”, two distinct words.
Definitions from the Oxford English Dictionary:
Swot: Study (a subject) hard or hurriedly.
Vac: The period between terms (esp. of a university).
Literally, a vacation for study, a study period, a swot vac.
Interestingly, “Swot” originated from the word “Sweat”.